Friday, September 19, 2008

Let the Blessings Rain Down

Hurricane cometh and I goeth. Okay, I know that Go-eth is not a word but moving along!



First, Thanks for all your prayers concerning Hurricane Ike and our family. We did stay through and a few days after without power. Hubby decided to stay behind while I took Jonathan to Dallas. I would have suffered stayed longer until we did get power however circumstances caused us to change our minds! Jonathan was developing a heat rash. Yuck! Poor baby was still smiling about everything but we knew that if we didn't change his surroundings it would get worse for him. He did sleep through the first couple of nights and then after that he became restless.

 

Let me back up the choo choo train. Our house encountered some damage to the roof, screens, and the fence. Basically, we will need a new fence. No trees in our yard were uprooted but a couple of bushes that hubby hates did not make it. He was real sad having to move that debris. Ha ha!!! Our neighborhood is another story. Many trees uprooted, most homes lost their fences, roof damage, and other varies things are gone. The people in our community are safe and well. That is what's most important!

 

Some blessings have come forth from Mr. Ike! All my neighbors were out helping one another, sharing generators, comforting one another, and in general just being there for each other during a difficult time. Let me just say being without power can become depressing. Our neighborhood still does not have power and they say it could be another week. A few houses on the other side do but for the most part it is dark. It is hard picking up the pieces especially when you are disconnected from your church home. Most cell phones were not working in our area or they would be on analog roam so the battery would die out sooner. Plus, lack of "regular" food instead of boxed snacks can wear on you after some time. So, I say all this to remind myself that is good to reach out and know your neighbors beyond the everyday stuff. How do people make it through these times without a strong connection to a church family? If you can not get out or have no means where do you turn for help, understanding, and a lot of compassion? I assume it would be their neighbors. I am glad that I do know most people around me but honestly I can not say I know them well. When I looked around my neighborhood or just my little area people were reaching out to one another that maybe might not  have before due to busy schedules or circumstances. Ike made everyone even the workaholic slow down.

Ike forced myself to get out and ask for help from people I have never met. That is a humbling experience. Most of you who do know me know that I am out going and you would think it would be easy for someone like myself to ask for help. However, it is not! Something that might surprise a few of you is I am shy or reserved in some situations. I hang back, observe, and analyze. I know you probably have spit out your coffee or your jaw has dropped open. It is never easy or comfortable to ask for help. Why is this? Maybe "outside influences" have made us think that asking for help is a weak aspect. It is funny or ironic that Christ said "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. This is found in 2 Corinthians 12:9. Though that is a small part of the big picture in this chapter. You can see that Christ always has a way of letting you see that it is the polar opposite or the less popular aspect that he sees as a positive. "He even states that the first shall be last and the last shall be first (Rev 1:17)." Christ is all about shaking things up and making you grow. I am sure you will never see an advertisement for "weakness the new strength."  Okay, this why I am not in marketing so don't laugh at my slogan =0)!!!

 

My thoughts may seem jumbled to you or unclear but all I ask is for you to love me right where I am in this growing period. It was not easy leaving my hubby behind or my community. It was not easy letting my best friend come to get me, her "refugee" (that is for you Misty). When I feel that I could have stayed behind and support my neighbors, friends, and community. It is not easy for my son to be without his daddy. I would be a fool to expect things to be easy! I think you know what I mean when I use the word "easy."  Staying behind has its own positives and negatives just as leaving does. So, ask you where is Christ power working in your weakness?

 

Continue to pray for me as I will for you all! Many blessings and love to you and yours.....

3 comments:

  1. Ahem...It seems that you have some friends in the Dallas area who weren't notified of your arrival :o) Let us know if you are still here!! I'm glad everyone came through safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could have stayed around more for our new feeling of community. What an incredible experience - both for the good & the bad! I'm glad you went north and found a refuge for yourself and Jonathan. Can't wait to spend more time with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that everyone is ok and I will continue to pray for your "electricity". We are hoping that ours will come back on soon. Right now, we are looking at after Thursday... sigh... it is depressing. But it is a blessing that we are all ok and our houses are not "totaled" like some friends of ours.

    ReplyDelete