Saturday, September 15, 2007

Where is FORGIVENESS???? Grace???? Mercy????

My eyes are full of tears and my personal heart is heavy this morning. Someone very close to me has been re-building their relationship with Christ. I will leave names out for their privacy and respect. They have asked for forgiveness and we know he/she has received it.  I am so grateful for their return! They have been a source of encouragement to me! However, recently this person was in contact with someone from their past that they had wronged. The person responded with what I would say was " a hateful/hurtful heart." They told them that God/Jesus will never forgive them and that basically their not good enough. Now, I will tell you the person saying these things  is a "christian." There was a lot more said but I can not reveal that without compromising their privacy.  

 

 I know those reading this blog do not have a full picture of either story so it is hard to understand from any perspective. What I am focusing on this day is FORGIVENESS. I am sad that words of forgiveness were not what was given. I know we all want forgiveness, grace, and mercy! I am also sad for the one whose heart is still hurting. I am sure we have all been there needing forgiveness from others and needing to give it to others! I know I have hurt people myself and I have been hurt myself! However, it is in those moments from both perspectives  we must remember Christ. Jesus forgives all our sins....all, not one or two BUT ALL!!!    Colossians 1:13-17 "13For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,   14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.   15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.   16For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.   17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."  

 

I am sure there are people out there that might have wronged me and needed forgiveness. I may have thought I did but they do not feel like I have given it to them. For that I hope and pray that I have responded in a Christ like manner. So my post started with where is forgiveness, grace, mercy???!! Friends, it is in the hands of the Father. Matthew 18:11 ["For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.]   

 

That is what matters! I know we would all love it if every one (including myself) would take on this attitude like Christ and the world would be a better a place. It would be great if we allowed our hands to be like his in those moments. People need to be touched by the Savior and Jesus uses us to give that touch to the hurting. Jesus words are very very powerful! His helpers(us) need to remember our hands are an extension of his hands. I may not be communicating very well this am for that I am sorry. I don't have the gracefulness of words like most so thank you for bearing with me through this painful time.   

 Blog friends if you do have moment to spare.......would you please leave some words of encouragement for the one I am close to?  I know they will read this post. Thank you so much! I am on my knees!    

 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shellie, I am sorry for the hurt that this situation has caused you ... your family ... but especially the one close to you whose sin caused the shame and pain. What can I say, Shellie? From my experience - when you have done "the wrong" - like I did - you can expect the ones that you have wronged to be angry ... to want you punished ... to do or say whatever they can to hurt you.

    Let me suggest: (I apologize for listing these, but it helps me keep things straight.)

    First: seek forgiveness from God. That is where all genuine forgiveness begins. "Who can forgive sins but God?" The one you mentioned has done that - and has been forgiven? Thank God. Consider: when David was confronted with his sin with Bathsheba and against Uriah, he claims "against you (the Lord) only have I sinned". Forgiveness begins and ultimately ends with God.

    2. While our hearts may want the ones we wronged to forgive us ... while we may find comfort in the thought that they have forgiven us ... the truth is - their forgiveness in no way approves or disapproves us before God.

    3. When those we have wronged say "hateful/hurtful" things, it is going to hurt. Can't stop it. You cannot change them ... cannot keep your heart from hurting. But the truth is ... we are harder on ourselves that they will ever be. In truth - I deserved to be stoned to death - so anything less than that is grace.

    4. Somehow the one you mentioned must learn, like the prodigal coming home, to ignore the older brother ... like the sinful woman, to ignore the self-righteous Pharisee ...

    5. Please give this one you love my name, email address, and/or phone number. Maybe God has brought you and I back together, so that this one you love might find a Samaritan - to help him find a place to rest and heal. I will not pass by on the other side.

    I cannot - they cannot - change what happened; so we must learn to walk through this life ... with a limp. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shellie,

    I love the fact that you have such a heart for your friends and your family. You are a blessing to me and truly a gift from God. He knew I would need your faithfulness, your loyalty and your love especially this time in my life.

    I am especially grateful that you love children, children who are hurting in this world, and especially your nieces and nephews who need you. I know God is blessing you in mighty ways and will continue to help you help us all.

    I find you a "fundamentally" fun and loving person.

    Love,
    Precious

    ReplyDelete