Friday, May 6, 2011

Freedom verses Freedom

Many of you reading this blog know me personally and have known about our struggles for the past 2 years. For those you who don't, we lost our jobs and then hubby gained employment in another town. He had a contract position which turned permanent in March of this year. We are waiting for our house to sell. It is hard to be separated as a family. It comes with a new set of challenges that you have to creatively figure out. Anyway, needless to say it has been an adventure!

I what I really want to share with you this morning is about a woman that God put in my path the weekend I lost my job. It was a Saturday in April of 2010 and we as a family decided to enjoy a park at a school close by. Usually we go to our normal park but that day the Lord was leading us elsewhere so we went. There were 4 families or so at this small park and all seem to be enjoying themselves. All but one. For protection we shall call her Mary. She ran up to me in tears while her son talked to my hubby. My son being the JOYFUL spirit that he just played with her son as if nothing was wrong. Mary's voice was full of sheer terror. None like I have never heard. She begged and pleaded with me to help her. She told me that no one will help her. Her problem was her current husband was abusing her and her son. My heart sank. My husband came over being the leader that he is said let's all get in the car and go to the police station. That is what we did! For some reason she was afraid to go to the police station but we proceeded anyway. Her story is a gut wrenching story that I am not even sure I could repeat. Basically come to find out she was in the middle of getting her citizenship and the paper work was almost done. If she went ahead to the police station they would discover her marriage of "false pretenses." This would be mean possibly going to jail and not seeing her son for awhile. Her son was born on American soil so it would mean him staying here in foster care. The woman is in what I would call a "quandary." Her current situation gains her freedom on American soil but at a high cost. So Mary asked me "what would you do?" I asked her a really hard question " are you willing to give up your "freedom" here to gain internal "freedom?" What do you want your son to learn from this?" She wept. A police officer came out to get her story and tell her what her options were at the time. He advised us to call 9-1-1 because it involved a child being hurt. We had to do this back at the park where we found her and her son. We took Mary and her son back to the park where we met her. While I was saying goodbye to her the Holy Spirit pricked me. He guided me to give her my small travel bible and my Jesus Calling book by Sarah Young. I swallowed hard, took a deep breathe and gave her my 2 favorite books. I looked her in the eye "Mary do you know who Jesus Christ is what he can do for you?" She said "no." We unfortunately did not have time to talk since she had to get to the shelter fast. I explained to her how HE offers true freedom. One that will take you places that you can't imagine and you will forever know peace. She promised me she would read both books and do what they say to do. She hugged me tight with tears in both our eyes we knew this might be the last time we see each other and so we prayed.

Needless to say I was no longer bummed about losing my job. Talk about putting it into perspective!

I have no idea where Mary is or how she is currently doing. I just have to trust our Lord! I pray that someday we will meet again in Heaven.

John 8:36 If therefore the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment