Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days....A Cup



of coffee is such a simple thing. You can add cream, sugar, flavoring or just go with it the old fashion way, plain. Some of you know me in real life and others of you only know what I share here in blog world. For those of you who may be out of the loop my husband lost his job almost 2 years ago. That was our second time to go through the challenge. We are fine now. He has a job. During the time he was without a job we could NOT afford to spend money on a outing to the local coffee shop. Even when he had a job we treated it special. First, I don't feel good about spending $4.35 for flavored coffee and second I can make it at home. That is neither here nor there. It is the experience you pay for anyway and yes sometimes it comes with a good cup of coffee.


So what does a cup of coffee have to do with Serving Others for 31 Days? I am so glad you asked! ha! The other day I was at a local coffee shop thinking I would treat myself to something yummy. Maybe I was trying to convince myself that Fall is really here by ordering something pumpkin or cinnamon like. This particular coffee shop is NOT Starbucks or what I am use to so reading the menu was taking me a little bit longer than I had planned. I really don't like Starbucks anyway. I was also asking the barista if they could make it this way or that way and on and on. I am normally not like that! I typically know what I want and order right away. For some reason I was very indecisive that morning. Doesn't that just bug you when that happens? During the time of making up mind and asking questions to the barista, in walks a young lady. She did not seem very happy or maybe she was just grumpy cause she was behind an indecisive person and she really needed her first cup of Joe. I don't know! She did not make eye contact. Her hair was unkept and her clothes seem a bit thrown together. Her spirit felt heavy. You know that feeling you get about someone when they need to be encouraged? That is what I was feeling from her. Just as I was about to pay the Holy Spirit gently taps at my heart and whispers in my ear "buy her coffee." I was so nervous! First, I did not know her from anywhere and I am still new to this town/city. I really don't want to be that awkward "new girl." People can sense that as well. I think? Between the time the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and me speaking up about buying the stranger her coffee was probably about 5.2 seconds. She immediately looked up with excitement "really? are you sure?" " Yes, after all someone should benefit from my indecisiveness." She smiled "thank you." She must have ordered plain coffee for she was gone before I could turn around to make conversation. Looking back at my total of both purchases it had to be plain!

Now, I will probably never see her again so maybe just maybe that simple cup of coffee made her day in that moment to carry her through.










Hebrews 13:2 " Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for this some have entertained angels without even knowing it."








You can read here the first post about my 31 Day Challenge and here for other 31 Dayers to see what everyone is blogging about!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! It is so doable! I am not a big coffee drinker, but this is a great excuse to get out for a pumpkin spice mocha and to bless someone in the process. I can't wait to see what the Lord lays on your heart each day. I am blogging on 31 days of (mostly frugal) date night ideas. My husband and I go to Starbucks as our fall back (mostly because he gets gift cards to there from work) and this would be a fun thing to do together.

    ReplyDelete