Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Something New, Something Old but Not Borrowed











I John 4:11 "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."



Day 5 in the series of 31 Days to Serving Others


She is committed. Hard worker. Loves children. Always smiles. Speaks the right words at the right time. She is also hurting. Her husband left her. "He is having a mid life crisis." He has decided that he does not want to married anymore. So, she works to forget the pain and to keep her mind busy. She is a teacher. For 25 years she was a wife, mother and home-maker. She was loyal and patient. Now she is torn and bruised.

the Service given....

The other day I was buying books at a Christian Bookstore when I spotted the bargain table. $5 for small pocket bibles! Woo-hoo score! Immediately, I grabbed one. It was not meant for me. The lord directed me to give the small bible and my favorite daily devotional Jesus Calling by Sara Young. I am not meant to keep these books. Go here for related story or post to the topic. Let's just say this is NOT the first time God has asked me to give my Jesus Calling devotional book away. I think my average time to keep Sara Young's book is about 6 months. Anyway, I wrapped up the bible with the devotional book. To be honest with you God pricked my heart days before I actually followed through with the service. I kept thinking, "surely not? Am I really suppose to give my daily devotional away-again? I L.O.V.E. this book. At this point I should give Sara Young a call and work out a deal. Ha! It has been my companion through some tough stuff. Kinda like a security blanket. I prayed about it. The tapping turned into a nudge then a push. The whisper turned into a dialogue then a shout. Okay Okay, I will do it!!!! I did it in secret. I wrapped it in pretty netting and attached a card. The card read " praying for you this year. love an angel." I pray that she will come to know Jehovah Rapha~ Healer.

It is not easy to give something away we cherish. Is it? God said it would never be easy. I know it may seem silly to you to cherish a book that anyone can replace. However, attached to each book are memories. It is a good thing that memories really LIVE in our hearts.

James 1:12 " Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."












Have you ever given something away
that you've cherished? Do tell!






Go here for other 31 dayers...

2 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I love that book, Jesus Calling. Thanks for being a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading through that devotional for the past several months. It is my life line, first thing in the morning. What a great way to bless your friend.

    ReplyDelete