Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mozzarella Sticks

This is Day 12 of 31 Days of Serving Others



Matthew 25:42-43 "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me."

Once a week my son gets to have granny-bug time. He either gets to go to lunch with her or go to her house and play games. He is typically there for a couple of hours while I get stuff done. Such a blessing to have my mom so close! He loves my mom! They have a special bond.

Anyway, on our way home from granny-bugs a homeless man had a sign he was holding up on the side of the road. It simply read "hungry. please anything helps!" I quickly looked down at my half eaten mozzarella stick and thought I can't eat this in front of him! I dug in my lunch box to see if I had anything left over from lunch. There were 2 mozzarella sticks. The light starts to turn green! Oh great I am trying to do good here but God ya gotta give me a little help. I was nervous passing those sticks off for fear of honking car horns and that perhaps he would not see me to get them. I grabbed the sticks, rolled my window downed and shouted "this is all I have!" He was so grateful. He smiled at me "God bless you!"

I had a friend ask me once "how do you know they are really sincere?" I believe you have to really listen to the Holy Spirit. He will prompt you! Yes, I have passed by without giving every time because I truly believed it is not my help that they needed. Honestly, we really don't know if they are sincere at the end of the day. I just have to do what the Lord is guiding me to do and let him worry about the rest.



*a tip, keep peanut butter crackers or fruit cups that don't require to be refrigerated in a half gallon baggie to pass out when you do want to help someone whom is hungry*

3 comments:

  1. Great point Shellie, why do we get so caught up in trying to decide who we should help and who we shouldn't? Only recently, I've determined (and I'm ashamed to say that it is only recently) if someone projects a need I want to do everything to meet it in Jesus' name. Will that ever be a wrong decision? You are so right. I'm wondering, when we get too involved in determining other peoples motivation is that the enemy blocking our path of service? Sounds like an effective tactic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always put it so elegantly! ;0) love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I have been feeling prompted lately to offer something to the people I see on the side of the road with signs. I always have granola bars with me in my purse, but have yet to hand one out. My main fear is safety. And my husband would not be pleased for me to be interacting with a homeless person (he's concerned about safety as well). Especially if my toddler was in the car. But, I think it's great to give food vs money because another fear of mine is that the money will be spent on an addiction. A friend suggested carrying big Ziploc bags of toiletries to hand out. I thought this was a great idea, but wonder how likely they'd be able to use that kind of stuff.

    PS My Mom comes over to watch my daughter several times a month so I can tackle my to-do list. It is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete