Saturday, October 29, 2011

CAKE


This is Day 28 & 29 in 31 Days of Serving Others Series





7-UP Cake By Shellie(me)
Just ignore the crispy crumbs around the cake!


I LOVE that commercial from long ago about the Skor candy bar with the Queen eating them all. The servant comes to ask her "Your Majesty what will the towns people eat?" She looks at her half eaten Skor bar, "let them eat cake!"

Anyone remember that commercial? No? Then it is just me! Ha! So where have I been the past 2 days? COOKING!!!! Yes, I have been cooking and baking up a storm. My family swooped into town and I have been in full cook order service mode! Here is what I have made so far.

Vegetable Cabbage Soup
Creamy Potato Leek Soup

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake Squares
7-Up Cake

All of it homemade! I think of one the biggest services you can do is cook for someone a hot meal or yummy dessert. Plus, I have been cleaning up after everyone during their rest times. This is my first time to sit down and write anything!!!!! I will be honest with you. I L-O-V-E to cook for others and serve them. There is something so rewarding when someone has taken your creation to their lips and everything in their facial expression exhibits "yummy."

I did feel bad for my mother in law. She was so insistent on helping but she has really bad knees. You could tell she wanted to sift the flour, grease the pan or cut a vegetable. You see, once upon a time she too could do everything in the kitchen and her body never once failed her. She talks of the "old" days gone by when she would make the best home made candy for her husbands office coworkers. Sooooo, that is what I did! I included her in process as much as I could. She sat mostly at the table and I would bring her stuff to chop, grease or mix. She truly enjoyed it. Once I was done with the main cooking, I was inspired to honor her by cooking her home made 7-Up cake that she loves. She even gave me a couple of tips to keep in my back pocket for a later date. She was so pleased that I felt so honored to make her recipe and to know that it was just like she remembered. What a way to honor someone! Plus, I love taking family recipes and carrying on the traditions for future generations!

I quote my son tonight "mom, this is so good. you are a good cook!" Oh, my heart just singed with JOY!

One of my all time favorite movies Julie & Julia is all about cooking. If you really get down to it, it is about do your passion! One of my favorite scenes is when Julie is describing Bouef Bourguigon recipe by Julia Child that her mom made. Such passion!







So is there anyone you know that needs a hot meal or delicious dessert? or maybe they are a cook whose body has failed them and they would enjoy rubbing elbows along your side in your kitchen. Sometimes we have to think outside the typical "cooking-a-meal-for-someone-box." Sometimes we need to include them in the process. The process is part of the serving. It is giving of your time and that is the best gift ever.


Romans 12:9-13
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment