Saturday, October 8, 2011

An ear full of Strength


Day 9 in a series 31 Days of Serving Others







She had strength like I had never seen before. I am not even sure how to begin today's post or even how to form the words. This service was not in its normal manner like buying a cup of coffee or feeding someone whom is hungry. This service was not tangible through my hands but by another way. This came in the form of listening, really listening to someones LIFE story. Have you ever walked away from listening to someones life story thinking you have absolutely no troubles what so ever? This particular service made we walk away thinking not only am I not as strong as I thought I was but I have no troubles. Especially when I ponder on what she has gone through, what she will go through and what she is going through.


listen to her story...

She has been married for more than 23 years. They waited to have kids. After 13 years they decided to have children. God blessed them with a beautiful baby boy. Fast forward to kindergarten. Teachers notice he is having trouble playing sports and seems to tire out quickly at recess. The teachers encourage the parents to see a doctor. They did. The diagnosis M.D. also known as Muscular Dystrophy. There are many different forms but he was diagnosed with Becker. Their son is now 11. It is their only child and the doctors predict he won't make it past high school. Her marriage is suffering. She has no idea if they as a couple will make it. She takes in every single moment and is grateful for the tough stuff. She even looks forward to where God will lead her spiritually.

I don't know about you but it took us 7 years to have a child. We have been married for over 11 years. We struggled to have our one so I can NOT imagine having someone tell me my son will die someday. Not only will your son suffer but the end results will be fatal.

I thought I knew strength and then I met her. I thought I understood patience and then I saw her face. I thought I knew trouble and then I heard her life story. Today I saw Jesus. He came in the form of a mother loving her son.

I don't know if what I did had any impact or even an inkling of one. I did listen. I did lend an ear. I do not walk her shoes. I do not pretend to walk in them. What we do have in common is we are both moms of sons. I am going to hug my son a little tighter tonight, kiss my husband a little longer and pray for one more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment